Monday, November 30, 2009

Her Fearful Symmetry


The new Audrey Niffeneger book! It was so exciting, I totally love Time Traveler's Wife and was understandably excited to read here newest. And she took for-ever to write it so my hopes were a little on the high side

So, how would I describe it? I think I'll go w/ my sister's words on this... It was "effed up". It just WAS though. Not meaning it was necessarily awful or too weird, but it was just very different. And I'd say maybe a step further to the science fiction world than TTW was. But I still gave it 4 stars on Shelfari. I'm generous w/ stars though.

The plot follows these weird twins who are "mirror twins", meaning their insides and appearances were not identical but like reversed from each other. Apparently that's a real thing (though very rare.) They're kind of creepy. And their mom is a twin as well, and the beginning of the book is the mother's twin dying. Then the mother's twin, Elspeth, offers the younger twins, Julia and Valentina, her flat in London to come live for a year. Cool, free apartment, right? Except, oh yeah, she's haunting it. But apparently the creepy twins are cool with it.

There's way too much to overview much else ... and I know I'm making it sound lame. But it really was interesting and different from a normal genre I'd read. I love her writing, however weird the plot was. The characters were fully realized and the story moved along pretty well. I'd recommend it for sure, with the caveat that it's "effed up."

5 comments:

Alethea said...

I'm excited to read it. I've moved up to #132 on the library wait list! I listened to the Diane Rehm interview w/ AN, did you? She even speaks kind of weird. Eh, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Suz said...

I requested it from the library today actually! Now I'm really interested to see how it is.

MrsBlueberry said...

I just got a call from the library that I finally have this book held for me. Yay! I can't wait to read this one.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
شركة المنارة تنظيف منازل وفلل وموكيت وسجاد بالدمام said...

شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام

شركة المثالية لتنظيف المنازل بالدمام