Thursday, April 3, 2008

Crazy Week!

We're leaving Saturday for Italy! It's nice that we have a whole week to tie up loose ends and get everything together, but it's flying by so that kinda stinks (but at the same time is awesome...) I realize I haven't blogged in a while so I wanted to check in and let you guys know what's up.

This week so far...

Monday - I went to the bank with the intention of ordering Euros so we could take along all of our cash ahead of time, thinking banks have the best exchange rate. I almost fell out of my chair when he told me the exchange rate - $1.57 to 1 Euro. OUCH! Oh, and what made it (not) better was that the guy exclaimed "Wow, that's the highest I've ever seen it!" When I studied abroad in 2002, the rate was nearly $1 to 1Euro. So needless to say I didn't order the euros. Get this - the bank guy suggested I go to the airport exchange counter. They always say airports are the highest but he says they're usu the same... weird.

Scott and I are also now obsessed with Arrested Development - you can watch the ENTIRE series on hulu.com. Seriously, it's an awesome website.

Tuesday - Scott started off w/ an interview here in NC which went really well. He'll have a follow up interview the day after we get back. We're really crossing our fingers it's "The One."

We also made a trip to the mall together and got him some new glasses. His last contact for his left eye (which, as luck would have it, is the worse prescription that needs to be special ordered) ripped on Monday and of course, it's impossible to order them in under 2 weeks. So, Plan B, let's get some new glasses. I mean, the boy's gotta SEE Italy! And, of course, it was time to update those frames. What would all those fashionable Italian men think? So we got him some super-duper light weight Nike glasses which have a magnetic sunglasses attachment. At first I was like - attachable sunglasses? Like Dwayne Wayne?But I assure you, they're waaaay more fashionable than those! If only I could find a nice plaid cardigan sweater 2 sizes too big... hmmmm...Here they are. I tried and tried, folks. This is the best I could get out of him.

I also got this adorable dress for sightseeing and dinners out. It was on sale!

Wednesday - So, another thing I'm trying to do this week is have a "big" running week so that if I have to scale back a little next week while I'm in Italy it'll be alright. I'm under the gun a little bc I set a goal for myself with Nike + that I'd do 100 miles in 8 weeks, and while I'm not exactly sure when the 8 week deadline is, I know in my head that I set the deadline to be around the Italy trip. So yeah. I need to log 6 more miles before we leave and then I'll be victorious.

In other news, our cars are coated with pollen. Achoo.

Thursday - OMG, it's Thursday already.

You might also be asking yourself, "Where are all the recipes??" Well, we're trying something this week. It's called eating cheaply/Jamie didn't buy anything last week. So since the trip is gonna be expensive and we're going to have the most wonderful food and lots of wine, we agreed that we could rough it this week and eat stuff that we already have. That is, stuff in the pantry and fridge that we've had for a while. So, eggs and toast, peanut butter & jelly and frozen meals have been the most of it. So far, the great dinner experiment isn't really doing it for us. We're huuuuungry and quite honestly, I can *feel* the difference since I haven't really eaten meat for about a week.

To make it up to my husband who has (pretty much) been a good sport through all of that, I'll be making dinner tonight. It's still under the "use what we've got" philosophy and I think I'll be authoring the recipe myself. If it turns out alright, I'll post it.

4 comments:

quigz said...

It's so awesome that you guys are watching Arrested Development! Emily got me hooked on that show. Since then, I got all three seasons on DVD and I officially think it's the best sitcom ever. Also, did you know they're making an Arrested Development movie to tie up the plot?

Also, bring me back souveniers! :-D
-Steve

Kelly F. said...

if you "have" to scale back on running while in Italy? you are hard core. Want to come be my trainer? I have a jogging stroller and no excuse.

Kelly F. said...

if you "have" to scale back on running while in Italy? you are hard core. Want to come be my trainer? I have a jogging stroller and no excuse.

katie said...

track this!!