Monday, February 11, 2008

Girl With A Pearl Earring


by Tracy Chevalier

It was *pretty* good. It was a very well written book and a quick read. Told from the perspective of Greit, the maid for Johannes Vermeer, it was a very interesting fictional account of how the famous painting came to be. It started out reeeally slow, and I was worried it'd be that dry the whole way through, which happily it wasn't. There was a lot going on, and I think it was different enough to hold my interest. Something that always intrigues me about historical fiction though is how much is based on research and how much is just creative license?


I had some reservations about the main character, Greit. Don't ask my why, but she annoyed me! It's hard when you read a book where you don't *like* the main character at all. I'm not talking Scarlett O'Hara dislike the character (bc even if she's evil, she's at least interesting to read about and amusing!), this was more fundamental. The stuff she did annoyed me and I just wanted to shake her the whole time for being such a brat to the hot butcher stud who liked her.


It also took place in Holland, isn't that veird? What? No Austin Powers 3 fans reading this. Dang.


What's next you ask? Until I Find You by John Irving. JI is my favorite author, and I've been making myself wait to read this book, though I can't really say why. I just got it in the mail from paperbackswap the day after I started Pearl Earring, which was only further motivation for me to hurry up and finish it!!! :) Hope it's all I am anticipating...

No comments: