Sunday, March 2, 2008

Going Green

So, down here in NC we are in the midst of a big drought. And even though Cary doesn't have as strict restrictions as some parts of the Triangle, I've become more mindful about how we use what we've got. I think that this mindfulness has spilled over (no pun intended) to other areas of our life and we've decided to slowly phase into a greener lifestyle. Even if you don't buy into global warming or whatever, it seems like if everyone could use less "stuff" that it would be better for the planet - and why would it be bad to do something good for the planet? Ok, I'm starting to sound like my 9 yr old self while reading 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do To Save The Earth.

We're not the perfect green family yet. We still drive 2 Jeeps, which we'll be changing within a few months. I think a major criteria for the Green changes we make will be how big of an impact it has to our lifestyle and budget.

Green Goals:
1. In the upcoming months, I would like to totally phase out store-bought cleaners. I think I can make my own! I recently discovered this website and think any combination of these cleaners would be doable.

http://www.ecocycle.org/hazwaste/recipes.cfm

I already do make my own kitchen cleaner (for cleaning off the counters and cabinets after I cook and whatnot.) It's super easy and works well, and it's also a LOT cheaper than buying Windex Kitchen Cleaner or whatever crap we were using before. I got the "recipe" from Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook. It's 1 tbsp dishwashing soap and 1 cup warm water into a spray bottle, and totally does the trick.

2. Today we were at Trader Joe's and I saw something that intrigued me. I got 2 washable kitchen cloths...in hopes of dramatically reducing our paper towel usage and waste. They're kind of like shammy cloths - very absorbent and you can wring them out. And I intend to wash them weekly to keep them, you know, not nasty.

3. And in the more "extended" future (as in within the next year or so) we'll be on the market for another car to replace the Wrangler. We will definitely be getting a more fuel efficient smaller car, possibly even a hybrid. And down the road we'd love to get a Hybrid SUV to replace my Jeep. Hopefully in the coming years they'll become more available and the prices will come down a little.

That's all I can think of for now - but I've made a "Green" Tag so I hope to do some update posts as I check some of these off my list and think of more :) In the words of Michael Jackson and my first favorite song:

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror,
I'm asking him to change his ways,
And no message could have been any clearer.
If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make the change."

No comments: