Sunday, June 1, 2008

Crunchy Garlic Chicken

Thanks to Ash for this fabulous recipe! It was not only delicious, but made a lot so we had it practically all week! Both Scott and I gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up.


Crunchy Garlic Chicken

1.75 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c butter, melted (I subbed 3 egg whites here)
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp chives
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I think I upped this!)
2 c Total, crushed (I used Special K bc it was on sale.)
3 tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp Parm cheese (my addition...)

Directions:
Pray a 9x13 in pan. In a shallow dish, mix butter, milk, chives, salt and garlic powder. In another shallow dish, mix crushed cereal, parsley, paprika and Parm cheese. Dip chicken into milk mixture, then coat lightly and evenly w/ cereal mixture. Place in pan. Drizzle with remaining cereal breading once you've breaded all the breasts. Bake 20-25 min at 425.

Here are some reflections and tips:
  • It would be a great recipe to make when having company over.
  • Warming it up in the microwave wasn't the most wonderful thing in the world (the breading got kinda mushy) - but in the oven on the pizza stone it was awesome!
  • I used big 'ole chicken breasts but Scott and I actually thought either cutting up the breasts or using chicken tenders would be a better utilization of the breading and achieve a better ratio of crunch to chicken (Yes, we actually talk like that...)
  • Ash also suggested using breadcrumbs to supplement the cereal chunks for more thorough coverage.
  • It's a really versatile taste - the first night I made potatoes and last night we ate it as a chicken Parmesan type of thing, with some spaghetti. A total chameleon.

No comments: