Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cutting and Running

Ok, I'm confessing that I'm ditching a book that I've read 335 pages of. I'm just not that into it. So, I am quitting Outlander for the following reasons:

1. I don't really care about the characters and how the story will end.
2. Even Scott noted that I'm in a foul mood, and he said it seemed to be related to me not enjoying my hobby. I agree.
3. The "Scottish accented" dialouge is so annoying to read.
4. It's not easy writing to read in general...whereas even though I didn't *love* Emily Giffiin books and other chick lit, at least that's easy reading that keeps the story moving and at some points feels like it reads itself. This writing is very different.
5. I just got 3 new Paperbackswap books in the mail and they all seem so exciting, and I have book club looming over my head in a few weeks.

So yeah, I'm cutting my losses bc as my buddy Mark Twain said...(look over in the side toolbar.) I'm moving on to a great book. I'm thinking either Memory Keeper's Daughter or David Sedaris.

6 comments:

carolmcq said...

Definitely Memory Keepers Daughter!!

katie said...

I wish I could say that I liked The Memory Keeper's Daughter! :-P I think Alethea loved it, though.

Beth Anne said...

Awww...sad.

I agree that Outlander has parts that just suck. The author gives way too much unnesecary information about the past and I've found that I just skip over those parts. The last 200 pages are DRAGGING for me, but I'm looking forward to the sequal & I'm afraid I'll lose something if I stop now.

Alethea said...

Awww...so sad, but hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. It took me awhile to get into, but once I did, I loved it. *shrug*
I did really enjoy Memory Keeper's Daughter, a lot of people didn't. Either way, you have to read it before July 10th. :-)
I'm in love w/ David Sedaris.

Jamie McQ said...

I'm 30 pages into MKD and really liking it a lot so far!! :) Thanks for all the support during my book crisis!! :-P

KA said...

Quitter! (j/k) We've all done it at one point or another. :)